Montag, 26. September 2011

English translation!

Social Project called “Golden Hands” by Teacher Ini
Hello, my name is Michelle Bläsius. I am 16 years old. This year I finished 10th grade. At the moment I am working as a volunteer at the Namaka Public School on the islands of Fiji. In the same kindergarden works also “Teacher Ini”. She is ...years old and married with three children. Some years ago she got involved in a car accident. Unable to afford a costly operation she still suffers from the consequences of said accident which left her with a walking handicap and persistent pain. Despite those circumstances she founded the social project “Golden Hands”. For the last two years she has spend over half of her small biweekly income of 100 Fiji Dollar (around 40 Euro) on giving support to 25 families in need. Two month ago her income has increased to 280 Fiji Dollars (120 Euro) per month. Out of fear of not being understood she has kept the knowledge of the increase from her family. So far she uses this extra money on the Golden Hands project but she also needs to take care of her own family and cannot keep up financing the project solely on her own. I was deeply touched when she told me about her project. I have yet to meet a person with a bigger heart. She cares about so many families despite her very limited resources and the needs of her own family. I want to help Teacher Ini. Later, when I will be back home and I want to give a donation, I will know of a person who can take this money and will use it where it is much needed. I have seen what those donations can support: it will not ease all suffering here, but it can bring relief to some of the families. Being able to afford clean running water, a small vegetable garden or money for a much needed doctor’s visit are some of the needs that could be met with a bigger support group. For example there is this family of five. They live in a small tin hut without running water or sanitary facilities. The father of the family died years ago, the mother had gone away with another man who didn’t accept her children, which left the 70-80 year old grandmother and her four grand-children. The old lady is physical handicapped since birth: her feet are grown inward so that she can hardly walk and cannot really take care of a garden or anything else. Two weeks ago nine other volunteers and I helped to clean up the dump around the hut: a big mount of garbage, rusty appliances and old paper. The children had been running around barefoot in these unhealthy surroundings for years. They don’t own shoes. It would be helpful if the children could see a doctor, but without outside help they will never be able to afford doing so. That’s why I am asking whoever is reading this letter to help me to support this project, even small amounts can improve the living situation for these people here. I promise you to forward the money to where it will be most needed and to supply you with proof and photos should you require it.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen